Job ID 369865
Reporting to the Turbine Island Lead, the Senior Mechanical Engineer shall be responsible for various Turbine Island design development activities. The Senior Mechanical Engineer shall work closely with multidisciplined teams and the supply chain to help deliver the Turbine Island design.
- Acting as an Intelligent Customer, take responsibility for acceptance of supplier deliverables, including challenge of design against requirements
- Development and review of Process Flow Diagrams, Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams, Layout Drawings, Component Sizing Calculations, Component and Equipment Datasheets and Specifications, and other concept or detailed design related documents
- Development and review of optioneering Studies or Decision Record Files, Design Descriptions, Requirement Specifications, among other design development activities
- Application of Systems Engineering, including development and review of Functional and Design Requirements
- Integration of Turbine Island design into wider power plant
- Act as technical support and point of contact for Turbine Island interface and stakeholder activities
- Attend and support Design Reviews and HAZID/HAZOP studies with multidiscipline teams
- Liaise with the project safety team on nuclear safety licensing, environmental planning /permitting, and other interface activities that are relevant to the Turbine Island scope
- Ensure adherence to the company statutory H&S Policies and rules and compliance with the project and Quality Management System
- Previous experience, in the nuclear sector or other highly regulated industries such as thermal power generation or oil and gas and process sectors. Good experience and background in thermal power systems and equipment such as steam turbines, condensers, feedwater heaters, pumps, and piping systems.
- Preferably with good experience in similar roles with specific emphasis on FEED through to detailed design and EPC delivery.
- Development of procurement specifications and working with equipment suppliers.
- Strong technical background and broad experience in thermal power or similar projects.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to interact with internal and external stake holders.
- Ability to identify and manage critical interfaces on major projects.
- Good knowledge of UK Health and safety regulations, safety systems, HAZOP and engineering substantiation and technical standards.
- Appreciation and application of ASME, European and UK codes and standards.
- Systems Engineering experience or awareness desirable.
- Results oriented, ability to work independently and proactively as part of a team, good organisation skills, ability to deal with confidential and sensitive nuclear information in a professional manner and in-line with export control obligations.
- Bachelor’s degree or Higher National Diploma in an engineering discipline.
- CEng in a relevant discipline or working towards Professional Registration.
- SC Clearance or capable of achieving it.