GM does not provide immigration-related sponsorship, either now or in the future, for this internship role. Do not apply for this role if you currently need GM to provide immigration-related sponsorship for this internship or if you hope to receive such sponsorship for this INTERNSHIP in the future (to be able to complete the internship). However, we are able to consider candidates who are currently authorized to work for GM in the US for the duration of this internship, even if they may require future immigration sponsorship for a separate entry-level role, so long as it is understood that no immigration-related sponsorship will be offered to participants in connection with this specific internship.
At General Motors we pride ourselves on designing, building and selling the world’s best vehicles. We are seeking a new generation of visionaries to help launch bold engineering and business initiatives, and shape new directions for General Motors. As an intern or co-op student through our EXCEL (Exploring Careers through Experiential Learning) Program you will gain hands-on career specific experiences to maximize your real world potential.
Collaborating on innovation challenges, interacting with Industry leaders, attending cross-functional networking events and volunteering for community service activities.
Work Arrangement: This is a hybrid position. Some remote working opportunities may be available depending on the role candidate is selected for. Some roles may require the individual to be onsite.
At GM, we look to move humanity forward. We translate breakthrough technologies into vehicles and experience that people love. It all starts with research and development. We are looking for R&D Interns to craft, design, and develop groundbreaking designs and concepts. In this internship, you will plan and execute collaborative research to support the Materials and Manufacturing Systems Research Lab in areas such as advanced materials research, battery manufacturing, and advanced manufacturing capabilities.
What You’ll Do:
- Conduct research and/or experiments to collect required data and validate research ideas
- Document and present results. Depending on the assignment, results could lead to external publications and/or intellectual property
- Execute technical and special assignments
- Assist lab management in identifying mega trends in technology and business strategies in the automotive sector
- Develop and execute specific research plans, including concept generation, development, implementation, and validation
- Collaborate effectively with peers, management, operations groups, and outside organizations
Your Skills & Abilities (Required Qualifications):
- Must be a second year Master’s student or currently pursuing PhD
- Preferred degree in science/engineering subject areas
- Strong theoretical and experimental skills
- Previous research work experience in development of design methodology and technology transfer
- Ability to work both independently and in teams
- Consistently demonstrate critical thinking and strong teamwork
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent persuasion, active listening, delegation, and leadership skills to work effectively with GM internal and external customers
What Will Give You the Competitive Edge (Preferred Qualifications):
- Prior internship experience in automotive, technology, or manufacturing
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship management skills to effectively collaborate with varying levels of the organization as needed
- Demonstrates leadership in field of study, extra-curricular activities or service organizations
- Strong leadership skills, to guide project teams through planning, execution and insight phases
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills, especially the ability to synthesize large amounts of data involving multiple variables into comprehensive, impactful insights
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, leading deliverables and goals
- Willingness to ask questions, take initiative and be inventive
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to distill sophisticated subjects to a wider audience
- Emerging partnership and teamwork skills and ability to learn from and share knowledge with co-workers in a rapidly moving environment
- High level of integrity, ability to deal with ambiguity, takes initiative/self-directed
- Evidence of strong character with integrity, honesty, accountability and trust
The salary range for this role is $6100-$8600 , dependent upon class status and degree.
GM will provide a one-time lump sum taxable stipend payment to eligible students selected for the 2024 Student Program.
Benefit options are not available for this role.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we’re looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual’s age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at [email protected] or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.