Job ID 365816
Remote Possible Yes
We help the world see new possibilities and inspire change for better tomorrows. Our analytic solutions bridge content, data, and analytics to help business, people, and society become stronger, more resilient, and sustainable.
Opta Precise, a Verisk business, is a national leader in the property/casualty insurance risk inspection business. Opta Precise provides a variety of services including commercial risk management surveys, risk analysis, building condition assessments, building appraisals, providing underwriting information, and technical services for clients including insurers, reinsurers, policyholders, brokers, and other participants in the property/casualty marketplace.
As a Loss Control/Home Assessment Specialist, you are responsible for assessing residential homes/properties to check for compliance and assess if there are hazards or structural defects. Our Specialists review various properties on behalf of insurance companies and provide loss prevention recommendations to reduce the frequency and severity of losses arising from fire, crime, and liability.
· Schedule appointments with clients to visually assess the properties (about 10%-time allocation) at a mutually convenient time
· Travel to the properties, tour and assess for risk features (about 50%-time allocation)
· While touring the properties, take photographs, measure rooms and the structure, review features such as fire prevention systems, heating equipment, and fuel storage tanks
· Assess building construction, electrical, heating systems, and plumbing installations to ensure proper installation and code compliance.
· Identify and report on structural defects, fire hazards and other threats to safety.
· Converse with the owners to understand the history of the property, any risks, and answer any questions they might have.
· Prepare detailed reports using the internal systems identifying the fundamental construction and equipment details, risk assessment, and replacement cost value (about 40%-time allocation)
Competencies required to succeed
· Strong customer service orientation
· Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
· Strong self-initiative, prioritization, and time management skills
· Well organized and thorough
· Curious and inquisitive with an interest in learning
Accountabilities To the Regional Manager:
· Reports have no errors or omission and provide accurate details of assessment results
· Contribute to team’s overall revenue goals
· Continually expand your expertise so you can assess more complex properties.
To the owners of the assessed properties:
· You have the tact and professionalism for convenient, excellent experiences
· Your regularly provide value added services within your role and expertise
Education, knowledge, and experience required
· Education in insurance, construction, home inspections, real estate appraisals, or engineering will provide a solid technical foundation to recognize and identify construction and equipment details (College diploma or bachelor’s degree)
· Experience with building codes, residential construction, building restoration, or as a home inspector required.
· Experience with sketch programs such as Rapid Sketch and Apex an asset.
· Experience as an underwriting assessor or in the insurance field preferred.
· Excellent computer skills including using a database, typing speed & accuracy, use of short-cuts, and word processing is essential to efficiently and effectively creating reports.
· Ability to work autonomously and remotely as most work is completed from the home.
· Extensive travel is involved within a region requiring a valid driver’s license and a reliable vehicle (50%). National runs at least once per year.
Entering residences requires tact and professionalism and may require appointments to be scheduled in the evenings and on weekends
In 2022, Verisk received Great Place to Work® Certification for our outstanding workplace culture for the sixth year in a row and second-time certification in the UK, Spain, and India. We’re also one of the 38 companies on the UK’s Best Workplaces™ list and one of 18 companies on Spain’s Best Workplaces™ list.
For over fifty years and through innovation, interpretation, and professional insight, Verisk has replaced uncertainty with precision to unlock opportunities that deliver significant and demonstrable impact. From our historic roots in risk assessment, we’ve grown to provide analytic insights that help transform industries focused on some of the world’s most critical areas. Today, the insurance industry relies on Verisk to be, and to make the world, more productive, resilient, and sustainable.
Verisk works in collaboration with our customers and at the intersection of people, data, and advanced technologies. Through proprietary platformed analytics, advanced modeling, and interpretation, we deliver immediate and sustained value to our customers and through them, to the individuals and societies they serve, with greater speed, precision, and scale. We’re 9,000 people strong, committed to translating big data into big ideas. We help others see new possibilities and empower certainty into big decisions that impact individuals and societies. And we relentlessly and ethically pursue innovation to help move our customers, and the world, toward better tomorrows.
Everyone at Verisk—from our chief executive officer to our newest employee—is guided by The Verisk Way, to Be Remarkable, Add Value, and Innovate.
• Be Remarkable by doing something better each day in service to our customers and each other
• Add Value by delivering immediate and sustained results that drive positive outcomes
• Innovate by redefining what’s possible, embracing challenges, and pushing boundaries
Underwriting Solutions — provides underwriting and rating solutions for auto and property, general liability, and excess and surplus to assess and price risk with speed and precision
Claims Solutions — supports end-to-end claims handling with analytic and automation tools that streamline workflow, improve claims management, and support better customer experiences
Property Estimating Solutions — offers property estimation software and tools for professionals in estimating all phases of building and repair to make day-to-day workflows the most efficient
Extreme Event Solutions — provides risk modeling solutions to help individuals, businesses, and society become more resilient to extreme events.
Specialty Business Solutions — provides an integrated suite of software for full end-to-end management of insurance and reinsurance business, helping companies manage their businesses through efficiency, flexibility, and data governance
Marketing Solutions — delivers data and insights to improve the reach, timing, relevance, and compliance of every consumer engagement
Life Insurance Solutions – offers end-to-end, data insight-driven core capabilities for carriers, distribution, and direct customers across the entire policy lifecycle of life and annuities for both individual and group.
Verisk Maplecroft — provides intelligence on sustainability, resilience, and ESG, helping people, business, and societies become stronger
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran’s status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.