Fully Remote: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role may require quarterly travel to be onsite approximately 4 days per year.
General Motors is at the forefront of the transformation of automotive with the electrification of our portfolio and the development of leading-edge central compute and autonomous capabilities. Our Semiconductor Engineering team is a dynamic, high-energy, and innovative group focused on design and commercialization of leading-edge silicon enabling the future of GM’s Ultifi platform.
We are seeking a high-performing Principal Engineer interested in leading the strategic selection and development of semiconductors for use across the enterprise. This individual will be depended on to build strong partnerships with internal and external team members and lead silicon and electronics design to enable the next generation of GM’s software defined vehicle.
The selected individual will be expected to provide thought and team leadership, foster innovation, facilitate communication, and inspire passion. In addition, it is expected they will exhibit strong leadership behaviors, actively champion change, demonstrate high level of intuition for business, strategically focus on addressing systemic issues, possess a high level of learning agility, ability to deal with ambiguity and complexity, tendency to expand the boundaries of innovation and not accept status quo.
- Champion enterprise ethernet & communications strategy & roadmap, drive industry standardization via chair roles at IEEE, SAE, OPEN Alliance etc.
- Develop performance and design written specifications for ethernet silicon & subsystems, enabling on-time sourcing and execution in accordance with electronics development and vehicle program timing requirements.
- Build partnerships and work closely with functional peers across electronics hardware and software engineering, purchasing and suppliers to implement ethernet strategic objectives.
- Influence market semiconductor product portfolios, silicon design, supply chain and technology roadmaps.
- Provide people leadership and technical coaching for the semiconductor engineering teams during the design, application selection, technical reviews, and sourcing phases.
Your Skills & Abilities (Required Qualifications)
- BS in Electrical/Computer/Software Engineering, Computer Science
- 7+ years of engineering experience in hardware and/or software design and development
- Strong experience driving & designing industry standards in automotive ethernet protocols & hardware designs, IEEE, SAE, OPEN Alliance
- Strong experience with automotive ethernet protocols
- Strong comprehension of automotive electronics hardware design requirements
- Experience with circuit/schematic design and analysis, worst case analysis calculations, DFMEA, and circuit simulation.
- Proven experience and strong knowledge related to ethernet components and system architecture design
- Experience in semiconductor selection for new and or existing modules based on requirements, benchmarks, and evaluation studies
- Hands on experience trouble shooting issues and validation experience related to hardware, software, EMC, and thermal issues
- Experience with lab equipment such as power supplies, high speed oscilloscopes, signal generators, spectrum analyzers and logic/protocol analyzers
- Strong comprehension of automotive software architecture and AutoSAR ethernet
- Exceptional collaboration and teamwork skills; demonstrated ability for working across functional and organizational boundaries
- Exceptional demonstrated experience leading projects to completion
- Strong problem-solving skills and proven ability to learn quickly
- Experience with silicon bring-up
- Ability to travel up to 10%
What Will Give You A Competitive Edge (Preferred Skills)
- Experience with automotive semiconductor design
- Strong experience leading VLSI design through tape out and production
- Experience leading ECU & PCB product development from requirement definition phase to production
- Knowledge of embedded firmware development (C/C++), operating systems (Unix, Linux, RTOS for embedded system) on networking devices
- Experience leading global team of direct reports responsible for designing and commercializing hardware or software
- Master’s degree/PhD in Electrical/Computer/Software Engineering, Computer Science
The expected base compensation for this role is: ($152,508 – $233,592).
Actual base compensation within the identified range will vary based on factors relevant to the position.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we’re looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual’s age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at [email protected] or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.