Job ID 373878
Remote Possible Yes
Under the direction of the Manager, works with California ISO teams to draft, develop and support implementation of contracts and amendments of contracts related to the ISO’s markets, services, operations, and interconnections of generating facilities and transmission assets to the ISO controlled grid. Drafts and proposes recommendations for ISO Tariff amendments and implementation. Regularly interfaces with a wide variety of stakeholders ranging from individual generators to regulatory commissions at various organizational levels. Demonstrates ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams comprising of technical, business, and legal experts. Uses a mixture of technical, commercial, and regulatory expertise in negotiating and implementing various ISO contracts. What You Will Be Doing
- Partners with ISO teams to draft, negotiate and support implementation of a variety of contracts and amendments related to market and/or program participants, utilities, balancing authorities, and generator and transmission entities interconnecting to the ISO’s controlled grid. Maintains relationships with stakeholders and proposes creative approaches to address specific issues in relation to ISO Tariff and ISO internal system requirements.
- Provides guidance and clarification on ISO policies and procedures and their relationships to ISO agreements and regulatory proceedings to other ISO business units, representatives of other organizations, and members of the public.
- Assists other ISO departments regarding the implementation of provisions of ISO agreements and the ISO Tariff.
- Drafts and provides comments on, FERC filings regarding ISO agreements, data responses, and ISO Tariff.
- Prepares and presents both verbal and written reports to ISO management and stakeholders, including potential public presentations to large groups of stakeholders.
Level of Education
- A Bachelor’s degree (BA, BS) or equivalent education, training and experience in Engineering, Economics, or related technical field. Master Degree preferred.
Amount of Experience
- Equivalent years of education and training, plus two (2) or more years related experience.
Type of Experience
- Experience related to electric utility industry contracts, including engineering, legal, and/or business experience. Experience with ISO markets, scheduling, operations, contracts, or ISO Tariff provisions. Experience drafting, negotiating, and administering electric utility industry contracts is preferred. Knowledge of the ISO Tariff and the ISO’s pro forma and non pro forma contracts is also preferred.
Additional Skills and Abilities:
- Strong verbal and written communication and documentation skills required, with a demonstrated sttention to detail. Ability to use deductive reasoning and analytical thinking with sound judgement and decision-making skills. Strong interpersonal and conflict resolution skills are also essential. Must be self-starting and willing and able to work independently in a dynamic corporate organization under pressure of tight deadlines and agressive expectations. Problem solving skills with the ability to influence others without direct authority. Must be able to work effectively in a team environmentas facilitator and team member. Must be proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
The pay range for this position is $34.94 – $58.23 / hourThe California Independent System Operator (ISO) manages the flow of electricity across the high-voltage, long-distance power lines that make up 80 percent of California’s power grid. We safeguard the economy and well-being of 30 million Californians by operating the grid reliably 24/7.As the impartial grid operator, the California ISO opens access to the wholesale power market that is designed to diversify resources and lower prices. It also grants equal access to 25,865 circuit-miles of power lines and reduces barriers to diverse resources competing to bring power to customers.The California ISO’s function is often compared to that of air traffic controllers. It would be grossly unfair for air traffic controllers to represent one airline and profit from allowing that company’s planes to go through before others. In the same way, the California ISO operates independently—managing the electron traffic on a power grid we do not own—making sure electricity is safely delivered to utilities and consumers on time and reliably.The California ISO is committed to the health, safety, and work/life integration of it employees and is proud to offer flexible work arrangements. This position would be eligible to participate in a fully remote or hybrid remote schedule. Relocation assistance is available.